Friday, October 16, 2020

An Update for 2020

Hello, dear reader!

After a long hiatus, I have returned to update and refresh this site. The year is now 2020, we are living through the covid-19 pandemic, and it feels like everything has changed.

I am still tutoring and writing. I had a baby in 2018, and I shifted my freelance commitments from full-time to part-time to be a (mostly) stay-at-home parent to our young son. Samuel is now almost 2.5 years old. He is wonderful--so smart and funny. I have been working on a personal essay about the decision to become a parent, and I look forward to publishing it on this site when it's finished.

Because of my scheduling constraints around childcare, I have a small number of tutoring students with whom I am working this year. Being able to work this semester (fall of 2020) has felt like a lifeline. I'm so glad to have this connection to the outside world during a time when it feels like we still live under the threat of a deadly virus. A few of my sessions are done in person, with both of us wearing masks and hand-sanitizing before and after sessions. It is a risk to be meeting in person, and we remain vigilant about our health and potential covid symptoms. For now, our risk seems to be okay. I've remained healthy, though the pandemic has turned me into a hypochondriac. Every sniffle, every cough, every sore throat makes me think I have covid.

I've been doing more writing and editing work, which I have loved. For four years, I've been a science writer for Dook Dook Ferret Magazine, a magazine for ferret owners which is published through Ferret-World. Austin Writing Shop, a small business I own and run with Courtney Stoker, has been helping clients with job-seeking and school applications. I am working on two books, one solo and one with my friend, Lewis Weil, the founder of Money Positive. (Full disclosure: my partner is a member of the Money Positive team.) And I have a bunch of ideas for essays that I want to write, some of which I plan to publish on this site.

In short, I am absolutely swimming in inspiration.

For now, I am not seeking new tutoring students, but because things can change rapidly, feel free to get in touch with me if you are looking for a math or science tutor. Even if I am unable to work with you or your student, I can give you resources to help you find a tutor.

I wish you all the best! Stay safe and stay healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment