Saturday, November 29, 2014

My Favorite Study Buddy

Lucy Likes to Learn

It never fails: I leave a textbook open on the floor, and Lucy wanders over to take a nap on it.

This week, I’m reading about chromosomal rearrangements, a genetics topic that I’d like to understand better.  A student asked me about Robertsonian translocations, and I had to admit to her that I’d never heard of them!  More about that phenomenon soon (or after finals).  The joy and challenge of my work is that there is always something new to learn, whether it’s translocations, or electrochemistry, or geometry (a subject I never thought I’d teach but that the universe seems to be implying I can and should).

That there is always room for growth and improvement makes me incredibly grateful for the work I get to do.  I’m grateful that I get to do something I love, that I get to do something helpful and valuable.  But mostly I’m grateful for all my lovely students.  They inspire me more than I can express.  I thank my lucky stars (and the internet) that they found me and that new students continue to find me.  I would not be able to do this work if it weren’t for them—for the financial support they provide (of course) and the way they make me want to do my best for them.   Being self-employed is great…except when it’s not.  My students remind me, again and again, what it means to keep trying and to see a commitment through to the end.

To any students who might be reading this, I wish you the best of luck with your upcoming finals.  Eyes on the prize and finish strong!  And if you need me, you know where to find me.

No comments:

Post a Comment